Friday, August 22, 2014

Laundry Day and My First Craftsy Pattern!!

Last week, when I returned from our first all family camping trip back to Vermont in 25 years, I offered to launder my son's quilts while the weather is still fine.  Needless to say, he took me up on the offer rather quickly and showed up with a TUB full of his quilts the next day. 

The first batch were patterns that I've written over the years, but don't actually own a quilt from them anymore so it was fun to be temporarily reunited with them! 
This simple Rectangle 4-Patch has been my go-to pattern for over a decade when I get ahold of a flannel with a terrific large scale print.
Here's a close-up of my son's version.  He fishes. 
This is the original one -- very simple -- over the years I modified the scale of the blocks and when I wrote the pattern, I included sizes from a lap robe up to a double size quilt.
The quilting is simple as you can see and it's an easy finish which makes it a great gift quilt!  I've also used it to teach teenagers basic cutting and piecing skills.  I'm looking forward to my teaching my own granddaughter how to make it!

Mary Huey





11 comments:

  1. Congrats on opening a Craftsy shop; I wish you much success! This is a great quilt pattern for a beginner or for someone who needs to make a quick quilt as a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your Craftsy store opening. I bought the pattern, but I have a question: not sure what this means:
    Cut 31/1' by 4" rectangles. Did you mean 3 1/2" by 4" rectangles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, thanks for buying the pattern and second, thanks for spotting the typo -- actually it's a "scan-o" -- thought I found all of them -- yes, it's a 3 1/2" by 4" rectangle! Off to make the corrections!!

      Delete
  3. Great cuddly quilts - flannel is just such a comfort of love in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of all the quilts airing out. The perfect post to rejuvenate under our Tuesday Archives Flannel theme! They are just look so snuggly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie and thanks for the opportunity to share this post!

      Delete
  5. A good design for flannelette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jo and the compliment!!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your first Craftsy pattern Mary -- it's a sweet little quilt. How nice of you to wash the quilts for your son -- you are a good mom ;) I love flannel quilts myself -- so fun to cuddle and keep warm. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete