Thursday, February 25, 2016

Are you a Y-Seam Warrior?

So how do you feel about y-seams? 
Do you ignore patterns with y-seams?
Do you look for short cuts that avoid y-seams?
If you've been following this blog for even just a few months, you have undoubtedly realized that I am a fearless y-seam warrior. 
Bring them on!!
My February APQ Resolution Challenge project is Smitten, a pattern from Lucy Carson Kingwell -- a sampler of 6 pointed stars with compatible fill-in blocks!
Marti Michell's Template Set H (Large Hexagons Plus) is the perfect set to rotary cut the pieces and the chain-piecing technique from my DVD, Set-In Piecing Simplified makes the work a breeze.

I started the blocks last summer but only finished two before Fall came along with all it's deadlines and everything went into a basket for a slower time.


It's been fun to dig back into the basket and meander through the "wall of color" over the past few weeks putting together charming and funky fabric combinations.
 
I've been making blocks as the "sew-offs" while piecing together my daughter's Giant Rick-Rack quilt top!
The collection has now grown to eleven finished blocks!  There are five more "large" ones to make and then some small ones.  In the meantime, I am adding them to the portable work wall to evaluate where to go next with color and value. 
I need more of the deep magenta to balance things!
To add to the fun today, I'm launching a monthly LINK-UP just for all Y-Seam Warriors.
 I'll host a new collection at the beginning of each month and invite you to share any post from your blog or photos from your Flickr albums to show off your projects using y-seams. 
 It can be 8-pointed stars, hexagons, 6-pointed stars -- anything you pieced with y-seams!! 
Of course, I hope some of you are using the skills you learned in one of my Set-In Piecing Simplified workshops or from watching my DVD, but everyone is welcome.
The more, the merrier!!
And those who don't have anything to share (yet), take courage!
Y-seams can be conquered!!
I'm looking forward to seeing what you are doing!
Thanks for using the badge to identify to your followers that you've joined in the fun!
Mary Huey



7 comments:

  1. I don't know why Y seams are so scary to people. I just take them slowly and carefully and they fit in. Of course I always mark the corner so I know where to start and stop. Smitten is going to be lovely. My favorite block is the one with the dark magenta in it. Have a great day! Blessings, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your new link-up; I don't think there's anything like this, it's a good idea! I linked my honeycomb quilt; it's the only project on my blog that is relevant to y seams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, count me in! I love y-seams. They just add so much interest to a quilt!! Love your smitten project!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I genuinely do not understand why quilters fear Y-seams! Is it because I learned how to sew by making clothes, which are more complex?
    I am putting the binding on a machine-pieced hexie quilt. Almost there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Gretchen's comment about Y seams. I've done them by machine and you just need to cut accurately and sew carefully. However, I always find myself going back to English paper piecing because I can take it with me everywhere I go and I don't have to worry about grain when I cut and sew.

    I also agree that your Smitten quilt is going to be an absolute delight for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your blocks. Your colors are amazing. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Smitten project is beautiful! I love your colour combo, just like wandering through a Spring garden!

    ReplyDelete